Summer 2021 Internship
Application period closes April 21, 2021
Windward is seeking an intern to work in our Seattle, Washington office. The work is expected to be remote, except for the field work, for which Windward will provide all necessary training and safety precautions. This is a paid internship.
Interns at Windward engage in many diverse activities, including:
- Conducting field work—including collection of sediment, surface water, stormwater, groundwater, soil, and biological samples (including fish)—according to written sampling plans and procedures
- Supporting the preparation of technical reports and study plans—such as remedial investigations, feasibility studies, data reports, biological assessments, environmental assessments, and quality assurance project plans—for internal and external audience
- Analyzing, interpreting, compiling, and summarizing scientific data to determine validity, quality, trends, and scientific significance
- Conducting quality control reviews of database entries, calculations, data tables, and maps to ensure accuracy
- Reviewing scientific and regulatory literature for background information and methods
- Completed or in-progress college degree in environmental science, environmental engineering (may be through a civil or chemical engineering degree program), ecology and related disciplines, biology, toxicology, or chemistry
- Strict attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to work in a dynamic team environment
- Ability to complete multiple tasks under tight schedules
- Willingness to participate in field work
Windward offers the opportunity to work in an informal, collegial atmosphere with nationally known scientists and engineers. Windward is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE M/F/D/V). To apply for a position at Windward, please download and complete the intern application. Please send the completed application, your cover letter, and your resume to Shana Schorsch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Natural Resources Consultant
Windward Environmental LLC is seeking a Senior Natural Resources Consultant to work in our Seattle office or remotely in the Seattle area. Minimum qualifications include:
- Master’s degree in environmental engineering, environmental science, or a related discipline
- ≥15 years’ experience working for environmental consulting firms
- ≥10 years’ experience managing project staff
- Understanding of NEPA, ESA, NRDA, and the Clean Water Act
- Experience developing budgets and successfully completing projects within budget
- Ability to win enough work, in a collaborative setting, to support a natural resource consulting practice.
The successful candidate will have a record of successful project delivery and business development experience in the United States, specifically in the following technical areas:
- Baseline environmental assessment
- Sampling and field surveys
- Impact analysis
- Natural resource management
- Restoration planning
- Habitat assessment/inventory for coastal or riverine systems
A broad technical background is preferred. Work experience in Canada or Latin America is a plus, as is wetland evaluation experience.
The successful candidate will be expected to lead business development efforts with new and existing clients, manage and provide technical leadership on projects, and mentor staff. (S)he will have consulting experience winning and leading complex projects including:
- Baseline ecological studies
- Habitat restoration
- Environmental reviews, monitoring, and impact assessments
- Negotiations and consultations with regulatory agencies
- Federal and state environmental permitting projects
- ESA habitat conservation planning projects
(S)he will supervise and produce:
- Mapping and analyses of vegetation and wildlife, including threatened and endangered species
- Technical reports
- Analyses of client project impacts on biological resources
- Mitigation and monitoring plans
- Habitat restoration and management plans
- Permit applications
The successful candidate will have a record of working effectively in multi-disciplinary teams. (S)he will be proficient in analyzing and disseminating information, and in working with agencies, organizations, and individuals in complex negotiations. (S)he will be proficient in routine consulting activities such as project management, tracking billable time, meeting schedules, overseeing team members and sub-consultants, analyzing data, producing reports, making presentations, and developing business.
Windward’s most valuable resource is its employees. We appreciate our employees’ skill and dedication and encourage their professional growth. As an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE M/F/D/V), Windward offers competitive salary and benefit packages, as well as the opportunity to work in an informal, collegial atmosphere with nationally known scientists and engineers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Windward’s ability to provide high-quality work for our clients is fostered by our supportive corporate culture, which includes collaborative project teams, a casual working environment, and extensive professional development opportunities. Windward staff are career oriented, highly motivated, and very satisfied with the working environment.